[ZODB-Dev] Python RPC

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 25 May 2001 11:36:21 -0400

On 25 May 2001, Chris Withers said:
> >  and ORB-it for CORBA,
>
> Couldn't _find_ this ;-)

Wasn't someone else on this list recently talking about using it?  Oh, I
see why you couldn't find it -- I spelled it wrong.  Try "ORBit-Python",
or just go to http://orbit-python.sault.org/ (that's what Google found
for me).

> > and ... umm .. I can't
> > remember what it was called, but the cross-language DO system that
> > Guido's gang used for mobile agents... surely Jeremy can refresh my
> > memory!
>
> Sounds interesting...

Yeah, I'm sure Barry and Jeremy could share their experiences.  My one
experience with this particular system was when I volunteered to be a
naive user for their "Knowbot" system, and see if I could download and
build it.  The only problem was that this distributed-object-system-
whose-name-I-cannot-remember hadn't been properly released in quite a
while, so you had to apply "official" patches to make it work.
Unfortunately, these patches were *only* available embedded in an HTML
document on the project's ftp site -- not the most convenient mechanism
I've seen.  Perhaps it was a filter to keep out anyone who wasn't
*really* keen on using the software.  (I suspect that explains a lot of
the sloppier practices in the unenlightened parts of the free software
world...)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org