[ZODB-Dev] Python RPC

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 12:28:42 -0400

    GW> Of course there's Fnorb and ORB-it for CORBA, and ... umm .. I
    GW> can't remember what it was called, but the cross-language DO
    GW> system that Guido's gang used for mobile agents... surely
    GW> Jeremy can refresh my memory!

Xerox PARC's ILU (Inter-Language Unification).  It's been several
years since I had any direct experience with ILU, and at the moment
I'm having trouble contacting their ftp server (from which they vended
the html pages. ;)

ILU had some interesting features, was quite large, and was fairly
CORBA-ish.  On the bright side, Bill Jansen (ILU's lead architect) was
a Python fan so it supported Python pretty well.  On the downside, it
didn't make it out of 2.0 alpha until late in our use of it, and it
was a bit of a pain to maintain.

Can't tell you much about where the project is now, although I
understand Bill left the project just as our involvement with Knowbots
was winding down.

-Barry