[ZODB-Dev] Python RPC

Peter Kropf peter@verecomm.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 10:53:59 -0700

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:16:11AM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> > As has already been pointed out, the big advantage of XML-RPC
> > (and SOAP, as long as we can continue to maintain interop) (and
> > I suppose CORBA as well) is that you are not limiting your
> > endpoints to Python.
>
> That has nothing to do with XML.  You could easily define a
> portable pickle-like data format that was more compact, easier to
> parse, faster to parse, and easier to implement than XML.

True, but don't discount the fact that an XML-RPC library is
currently available for AppleScript, ASP, C/C++, COM, Delphi/Kylix,
Dylan, Flash, Guile, Java, Lisp, Microsoft .NET, Perl, PHP, Python,
Real Basic, Rebol, Ruby, Tcl, WebObjects, Zope and others. From
my perspective, that weighs heavyly on the side of being able to
develop software faster, with less problems since these libraries
tend to be debugged already.

- Peter