[ZODB-Dev] Diff for Standalone SearchIndex

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 15:00:06 -0400

Hi Christian,

This may be a bad time for attempting to figure out how to distribute
Catalog-related modules with a standalone ZODB distribution, because the
Catalog is undergoing some serious changes at the moment, specifically
related to indexes.  Zope 2.4 will ship with "drop in" indexes, which
don't make use of the SearchIndex code, although the SearchIndex code
will stick around for backwards compatibility purposes.

I think you should wait for the first Zope 2.4 alpha (or work out of
Zope trunk CVS) before making decisions about the Catalog-related stuff
that you'd like to see in a standalone ZODB distribution.  I'm not
entirely sure what's involved in compensating for the changes, but it'd
be a shame to see you do lots of work to get the Catalog into a
standalone distro only to need to unravel it in a few months and do it
again.

- C