[ZODB-Dev] Relational queries on zope obj db?

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 28 May 2001 22:14:20 -0400

On 28 May 2001, Jeff Kowalczyk said:
> Thanks! If there's any way to do SQL-like queries against Zope's Object
> Database, or to arrive at the same result, I'm going to check out Zope
> very seriously.

Executive summary: no, but someone's working on it.  I suggest you look
through the zodb-dev archive for the last week or two; there's been a
lot of conversation (and maybe even some code!) around this topic.

BTW, be very careful of confusing Zope and ZODB.  Zope is "merely" a
content-mangement system/web application framework/web application
server that happens to store your documents and code as objects in an
object database.  That object database happens to be ZODB.  As I
understand it, you're free to write Zope applications that use an RDBMS
back-end -- you do not have to use ZODB for your application data.

(In fact, my gut instinct is that it would be a really bad idea to put
your application data in the same ZODB that Zope uses for your documents
and code.  Your application might very well be strongly OO and ZODB
might fit the bill just fine, but I don't think you want to confuse
Zope's objects -- ie. your documents and code -- with your application's
objects.  In my misadventures with Zope a year or so ago, that was about
the only thing I was ever sure of...)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org