[ZODB-Dev] Newbe ZODB questions

Patrick Down Patrick Down" <pdown@bigfoot.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 09:55:13 -0500

I am looking at ZODB as a storage solution for a python application I am
writing (not web based).  Currently I use a home grown system that
serializes objects to and from an XML text file.  While this was great for
initial development it has become slow for larger files sizes.  I am looking
at ZODB as a replacement solution for my document storage.  However I have a
couple of questions:

1. I see multiple storages talked about in the documentation but it is
unclear if they are implemented.  My application has two separate object
hierarchies stored in two separate files.  One represents a set of
"templates" and the other the "document".  Subsections of the template
hierarchy are deep copied to the document hierarchy and then modified.  Does
ZODB support having more than one storage open?  How would I associate
persistent objects with one or the other?

2. I see in the news groups and mail archives some discussion about ZODB
being much better for more "read" and less "write" intensive applications.
My application is fairly read/write balanced.  However only small
subsections of the document are changed at any one time.  A large document
might contain as many as 10K to 20K objects but only 100 might be modified
and committed at one time.  Should ZODB perform well in a situation like
this?  I also have seen discussion that the FileStorage grows with every
write and needs to be periodically compressed.  Is this true?

Patrick Down