[ZODB-Dev] Re: From memory Problems to Disk Problems :-(

Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:07:19 +0000

On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:23:48 +0000, Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com>
wrote:

>"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:
>>=20
>>     CW> The import script only uses 100Mb odd of RAM now, but
>>     CW> something that the BDB tables involved are doing is causing
>>     CW> the cache to jump up to 536Mb :-(
>>=20
>> Which cache are you talking about?
>
>The one on the far right of the 'swap' line in top...

You are on linux, right? Which kernel?

I dont think it is a problem for that number to be large. It indicates
the size of the kernel buffer cache, which does the job of a disk read
and write cache among other things.

It probably means that you are touching alot of file content, which is
probably a good sign. I would expect that number to be big during a
backup too! In any case, that memory is freeable if any process wants
to malloc it.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com