[ZODB-Dev] ZOPD as a publishing platform

Scott Deerwester scott@pacific.net.hk
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:05:42 +0800

I'm considering an application context for ZODB that's a little
different, and wondered if anybody has any feedback. The project is
centered around a custom Linux or uCLinux based CHEAP handheld, widely
distributed to members of poor people groups, with a collection of
medical, agricultural and other information onboard, in the native
language of the groups - different languages for different groups. So
there are two major parts, aside from building the handheld itself:

- Building a content base
- Putting the content base on the handheld

Both are a lot of work, and so having using Zope to build the content
base is REALLY appealing. So the question is.. could I somehow build a
ZODB DB holding the content on a Linux box using a Zope - which would
have a lot more on it than just the content base - and then move the
whole shebang over to the handheld? Putting Python on the handheld is
probably out of the question - I love Python, and know about Pippy, but
this is a wimpy little handheld that just doesn't have enough
horsepower.

Current thinking is to build a tiny little ZODB implementation in C
(anybody have one?) to access the DB on the handheld, plugged into a
tiny little HTTP server like thttpd or Abyss, and an embedded browser
like ViewML to access it.

Any thoughts?