[ZODB-Dev] ZOPD as a publishing platform

Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:35:08 -0800

Interesting idea.  Embedded ZODB seems more reasonable than embedded Zope
altogether...  Supposing you were using Standalon ZODB, you would likely
borrow elements from Zope such as document templates, and other useful
modules to do "object-publishing lite."

I would suggest looking into Python on a unix/linux based handheld, but I
don't know of the memory requirements for such and embedded application.
Python and ZODB without Zope on your handheld might be ideal; you could use
ZEO or XML-RPC or something else to sync the handheld with a central Zope
server...  I wonder if there are any embedded toolkits (qt embedded?) that
work with Python on Unix PDAs?

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Deerwester [mailto:scott@pacific.net.hk]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 6:06 AM
To: zodb-dev@zope.org
Subject: [ZODB-Dev] ZOPD as a publishing platform

I'm considering an application context for ZODB that's a little
different, and wondered if anybody has any feedback. The project is
centered around a custom Linux or uCLinux based CHEAP handheld, widely
distributed to members of poor people groups, with a collection of
medical, agricultural and other information onboard, in the native
language of the groups - different languages for different groups. So
there are two major parts, aside from building the handheld itself:

- Building a content base
- Putting the content base on the handheld

Both are a lot of work, and so having using Zope to build the content
base is REALLY appealing. So the question is.. could I somehow build a
ZODB DB holding the content on a Linux box using a Zope - which would
have a lot more on it than just the content base - and then move the
whole shebang over to the handheld? Putting Python on the handheld is
probably out of the question - I love Python, and know about Pippy, but
this is a wimpy little handheld that just doesn't have enough
horsepower.

Current thinking is to build a tiny little ZODB implementation in C
(anybody have one?) to access the DB on the handheld, plugged into a
tiny little HTTP server like thttpd or Abyss, and an embedded browser
like ViewML to access it.

Any thoughts?