[ZODB-Dev] Re: BerkleyStorage shutdown pain

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:30:05 -0500

    CW> Hi Barry and zodb-dev'ers,

    CW> Has anyone made any progress on how to close BerkleyStorage in
    CW> such a way that a very lengthy recover doesn't need to be done
    CW> on startup each time?

    CW> I'm having real trouble with this :-(

Clearing out my inbox, I just wanted to follow up about this.

Yes, I've fixed this problem.  The issue is that before the db
environment is closed you need to do two checkpoints, one right after
the other.  However, the second checkpoint must have the DB_FORCE flag
set or it'll essentially no-op (it can't hurt to have it set on the
first checkpoint).

Of course, none of this is documented in the Sleepycat manuals. ;)

Anyway, the patch is in cvs and will be released as part of
StandaloneZODB 1.0 (which we're working on, but no definitive ETA
yet).

-Barry