[ZODB-Dev] Another ExtensionClass incompatibility: __pow__()

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:00:27 -0500 (EST)

  GW> So what is the future of ExtensionClass, anyways?  Are the
  GW> little incompatibility bugs between classic Python classes and
  GW> ExtensionClass ever going to be fixed?  Or has ExtensionClass
  GW> been abandoned in favour of a future ZODB based on new-style
  GW> Python 2.2 classes?  If so, when will this future ZODB become
  GW> reality?

ZODB sans ExtensionClass for Python 2.2 is the way of the future.
It would be a lot of work to update ExtensionClass to work naturally
with Python 2.2; too much work to justify it.

I expect we'll see a ZODB for 2.2 soon weeks or a few months, but
that's just a prediction, not a plan or commitment.  I expect we'll
also see generic Persistence and Transaction APIs for Python, with
ZODB as a specific implementation/extension of them.

The generic Python APIs are, of course, for 2.3.

It's hard to predict exactly when we'll do what, because of resource
constraints at ZC.  (Too much to do, too little time.)  We should get
some Wiki/Fishbowl info up soon.

Jeremy