[ZODB-Dev] Unexpected behavior of a volatile property

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:19:24 -0500

Never mind. I just reread Jim's paper for the umpteenth time and now
understand how volatility, state, caching and persistence all relate to the
situation I ran into. Hopefully I'm providing some amusement to those who
get a sadistic pleasure watching others skin their knees as they climb the
ZODB learning curve. <wink> Given enough time, I'm confident I will hit
every possible stumbling point along the way to ZODB Zen, providing plenty
of enjoyment for you good people. Maybe there is a reality TV show in my
future - "Watch Pat Learn ZODB!"

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech (http://www.orbtech.com)
"I am, therefore I think."

-----Original Message-----
From: zodb-dev-admin@zope.org [mailto:zodb-dev-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of
Patrick K. O'Brien
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 11:24 AM
To: ZODB
Subject: [ZODB-Dev] Unexpected behavior of a volatile property

I'm seeing some behavior I don't understand. I'm playing around with the
sample application I'm creating. As part of this, I'm generating some test
objects. When I generated 5000 of them, assigning a volatile property
(_v_key), the first 1730 objects "lost" this property -- hasattr(object,
'_v_key') fails -- the remaining objects all have the property. How can this
happen? This is during the session where the objects are created, not in
between sessions (where you would expect the volatile property to be ...
volatile).

<snip>