[ZODB-Dev] Acquisition outside of Zope?

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 18:21:20 +0100

Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:

> I must admit that when I first read your reply it provided no illumination
> whatsoever. But it did cause me to do a search on Zope.org, which turned up
> the following useful article. So thanks, Steve

I've read that silent teaching is the zen way ;-)

> My real question is on a more practical level, thouhg. Is anyone really
> using this acquisition mechanism outside of Zope? I wouldn't want to go down
> the path of using it in a standalone ZODB application, just to find out that
> there are too many gotchas to make it worthwhile. There is something to be
> said for having a user base, no matter how wonderful the technology.

I have built a ZODB application using acquisition.

I chose to use only Explicit acquisition, to keep things tidy and
manageable.

Acquisition helped me to avoid complex circular references, and made it
easy to have a few well-known services (such as audit trail) acquired
from the environment.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer