[ZODB-Dev] More than one open ZODBs (in seperate object spaces)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:46:24 -0400

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to open two ZODB databases at once, without them
> interacting in any way - separate transactions, etc., just like I can open
> more than one bsddb3 database.
>
> The transaction model seems to assign a transaction per thread with the
> assumption that only one database is open, at least if I use
> get_transaction(). And since Connection.py is hard-coded to use
> get_transaction(), should I assume this isn't possible?

For now, yes, although, I there's been some work to patch around this.

RSN, I'd like us to start contemplating ZODB4. One of the things I'd
like to do in ZODB4 is elevate the importance of the transaction framework:

- Making it independent of ZODB

- Documenting it's APIs much more carefully,

- Making other transaction models (than one per thread) possible.

Please think about changes to the transaction model that you might
want.

Jim