[ZODB-Dev] ZODB Experiments project at SourceForge

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:10:19 -0400

I've been doing some ZODB experiments and have set up a SourceForge
project for the CVS repository and so everyone can get at the
experiments and contribute.  It's located at:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/zodbex/zodbex/

What is there:

- ChangeModules will let you change the module and name of persisted
class instances.  This could be very beneficial when you have to change
the name of a product.

- ConnectionCleanup contains a patch to ZODB that destroys unused
connections.  This might be useful if you have a situation where you
want lots of slow connections to a small to medium sized database.

- PartitionedFileStorage modifies FileStorage so it breaks up the
database into multiple files.  Although I though BerkeleyStorage would
invalidate this work, I've seen reasons why people might want this after
all.

- Shield enables you to protect a set of objects from database
conflicts.  It does this by keeping a log of replayable changes to
protected objects.  When a conflict occurs in a shielded object, Shield
loads the new state of the objects then replays the changes.
Potentially very useful for creating object indexes.

- nfs is a Python NFS server implementation.  No connection to ZODB
exists yet.  This could be an answer to Zope tool integration issues.  I
wrote this about one year ago.

- pma is an NNTP server backed by ZODB/ZEO designed to act as a mail
gateway.  This project is in active development since I'm "scratching an
itch": I need to be able to keep up on happenings without overwhelming
my inbox.  I searched for a solution for two years before finally
deciding INN, mail2news, MailMan, and mail client software just didn't
solve the problem adequately.  NNTP is a very nice protocol.

Check it out!

Shane