[ZODB-Dev] ZODB Experiments project at SourceForge

Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:04:57 -0700

Slightly off topic, but I had a question regarding pma, which sounds very
interesting...

NNTP backed by ZODB?  That sounds really cool; seriously, we newspaper folks
would love to have this sort of thing, because AP online (the "online-only"
version of the AP wire) dumps XML-formatted news stories and photos as
attachments to news messages via an NNTP pushed feed.  In the early part of
next year, my company is planning on creating an interface to grab these
attachments for selective import into Zope.  If we could get rid of INN, we
would!

One of the thoughts that I have always had was that NNTP was definitely a
"queryable" protocol, almost even like SQL:
	SELECT * FROM comp.lang.python
	WHERE MESSAGE_SUBJECT LIKE "some pattern"
	AND MESSAGE_DATE="10/10/2001"

If I was interested in writing a Zope DA to interact with this, I should be
able to do this via ZEO instead of having to find an NNTP client, as long as
I familiarize myself with the API in dbnews.py, map fields to most of the
methods in DBArticle, and assume that if I need attachments out of the body,
I use DBArticle.getBody(), and process the MIME attachments on my own and
then map them like DAs that support BLOBs?

Sean