[ZODB-Dev] 'None' transaction ids?

kapil thangavelu k_vertigo@yahoo.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 04:24:05 -0700

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 05:04 am, Chris Withers wrote:
> kapil thangavelu wrote:
> > > What generates transaction ids?
> >
> > thread.get_ident
>
> And when would that return None?

actually i was thinking about transaction ids wrt to the transaction system,
not wrt to storage. they are different, the transaction system that
implements the two-phase commit and transaction semantics is based on
transactions ids that are associated with threads. transactions as stored in
database records are based on a time stamp. sorry for the confusion.

i have no idea why you have none 4 transaction ids..

> > > There's a lot of transactions in this Data.fs that have been generated
> > > by me calling get_transaction().begin() and get_transaction.commit() in
> > > a python script, could this result in 'None' transaction ids?
> >
> > not that i know ;) its more likely that you're not attaching any useful
> > note info to the transaction. via (t.note, t.setUser, t.setExtendedInfo)
>
> Indeed, I'm not setting any notes anywhere. Should I? If I should, and that
> means I've got these None's all over the place, what would be a safe way to
> fix them? Should the storage barf liek this anyway?

the description information attached by the above functions, is just that,
descriptive information, afaik it has nothing to do with the functionality of
the system. but it can be useful in debugging since this info gets stored
with the db records (you can see it in action via zope's historical
management views).

hth

kapil