[ZODB-Dev] large C extension objects / MemoryError

Andrew Dalke Andrew Dalke" <dalke@dalkescientific.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:16:29 -0600

Jeremy:
>For this approach to effectively reduce the amount of memory, the C
>struct needs to have pointers to other objects that can be released
>when its becomes a ghost.  If the memory is all allocated in one block
>(like a Python string or tuple), then there's no advantage to becoming
>a ghost.

Ahhh, well.  Then I'm outta luck on that approach since all
that's inside a C structure.

I'm still rebuilding the database with the commit log instrumented.
It's slow because I've hit virtual memory.  So far the biggest
object is 2.1 MB, and the top 11 objects are all > 1 MB.

Is there any way to set an explicit upper limit on the number
of objects stored in the cache?  Or (better) set an explicit
limit on the number of instances of a given class?

                    Andrew
                    dalke@dalkescientific.com