[ZODB-Dev] Re: Berkley Transactions slow to commit?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:18:07 -0500

    >> I'm hoping that the hotshot profiler work that Fred Drake is
    >> doing for Python 2.2 will help here.  I want to better
    >> understand where the time is going to in _finish(), but since
    >> the majority of the work is in builtin functions, the standard
    >> python profiler doesn't help (yes, I could instrument it for
    >> gprof, but that is somewhat painful, but I may have to do that
    >> anyway if hotshot doesn't come along in time).

    NS> Is hotshot going to show more information about builtin
    NS> functions?

Ah sorry, I should have been clearer.

No, hotshot won't specifically capture enter/leave events for
builtins, but it will be able to capture line-by-line events.  So we
could instrument Full._finish() -- which the traditional profiler
identifies as the primary culprit -- and we could profile each line of
that function, giving us a better idea of where the time is being
spent in the PyBSDDB layer.

-Barry