[ZODB-Dev] ZEO Releases and Updates

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:57:30 -0400

  ER> I have just recently set up a production ZEO configuration, so
  ER> have not had to do any updates.  Is ZEO updates simply a matter
  ER> of replacing the ZEO stuff on the storage server and the
  ER> different client storages, then doing a server restart???

Yes.  You need to install the new software and restart the clients and
servers.  If you are using a single major release (1.x) then different
versions should interoperate:  You can upgrade the clients and servers
at different times, because the wire protocol is the same.

ZEO 2.0 will not be backwards compatible, so you'd need to restart all
the clients and servers at the same time.

ZEO doesn't have any persistent state.  (The database is persistent,
but that's managed by a storage like FileStorage not by ZEO.)  So
there is nothing to upgrade other than the software.

  ER> Also, does the zdaemon work the same on storage server as it
  ER> does on the client storages???

I think so, but I'm not sure I understand your question.  The storage
server runs under zdaemon when you use start.py; at least that's the
default setting.  The client storages are run as part of Zope, which
may also use zdaemon under the default setting.

  ER>                                 My client storages are started
  ER> as root and SUID fine ... just can't get the storage server to
  ER> do same. The script leads me to assume that it loads zdaemon by
  ER> default (starting as root) unless specifically told not to.

That's right.  Take a look at the usage text for start.py or run
"start.py -?".  The -s option to start.py means "don't use zdaemon."

Jeremy