[ZODB-Dev] ZODB Compared to Commercial RDBMS

Kip Cartwright kip@finfonet.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 00:38:48 -0500

I'm new to Zope and I am trying to determine if the platform is a good fit
for my project.  My main concern is whether ZODB has all the functionality
of a commercial RDBMS (at least where it applies to an OODB). FYI, I have no
experience with ZODB or any other OODB.  Forgive me if any of my questions
are not valid in an OO environment.

Basic concerns are:
   Record level locking (or equiv OODB functionality)
   Backup & restore including applying log to last backup
   Data partitioning (spreading database across multiple volumes/partitions)
   Multi-phase commits
   Query optimization

General concerns are:
   High availability & clustering
   Disaster recovery
   DB management (runaway queries alerts, query throttling)
   DB tuning
   Performance
   Scalability
   DB Replication

And some non database concerns:
   Ease of formatting data in ready to print format (e.g., pdf or flash)

I looked through the archives for this type of info but couldn't find
anything.  My apologies if this is a redundant post.

Thanks,
Kip Cartwright