[ZODB-Dev] ZODB Compared to Commercial RDBMS

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:30:24 -0400

Kip,

ZODB is essentially an object persistence system.  As such it does not offer
some of the features you specify.  It does not itself have a query language.
Applications built on top of ZODB (such as Zope) provide most of the
functionality that you require.  For instance, ZCatalog is a part of Zope
that serves the purpose of providing an indexing and query engine.

Most of the features you require are available in some fashion using ZODB +
Zope.  Record-level locking is not supported because ZODB uses an optimistic
concurrency strategy for handling simultaneous writes to the same object.
Backup and restore differs depending on the ZODB storage implementation you
use, but for FileStorage, you just copy a file.  Data partitioning is as far
as I know not available unless you count storing data to a RAID array.
Multiphase commits are supported.  Query optimization is supported in a
crude way though ZCatalog's TopicIndexes.  Scalability and replication is
provided via ZEO.  Fault tolerance is provided via ReplicatedStorage, a Zope
Corp. "for fee" product that allows you to set up a "warm standby" ZEO
storage server.

HTH,

- C