[ZODB-Dev] Mounting Non-Versioned Storage

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:35:04 -0400

    CM> BerkeleyStorage is AFAIK the only well-supported nonundoing
    CM> nontemporary storage implementation available.  I'm not sure
    CM> whether to use the Packless or Full implementation from the
    CM> BerkeleyStorage package if you want nonundoing behavior, I
    CM> seem to remember something about Packless being deprecated.
    CM> Barry probably knows the answer here.

Packless is probably the right one to use.  Full.py is as its name
implies, a fully versioned, undoable storage, which does need to be
packed.

While there is a Minimal.py storage, I won't vouch for it at the
moment.  The idea was to share as much code as possible between the
Full and Minimal, but that's languishing until we're really confident
about Full's stability.  Minimal will be a non-versioned, non-undoable
storage, that won't need to be packed.

Note that eventually we want to add support to Full, and probably
FileStorage so that automatic pack policies could be chosen.  That
would eliminate the need for an explicit pack call, though it would
still be deleting obsolete object revisions, having the same impact on
undoability.

-Barry