[ZODB-Dev] Mounting Non-Versioned Storage

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:34:42 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:

> "Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:
> >
> > Note that eventually we want to add support to Full, and probably
> > FileStorage so that automatic pack policies could be chosen.  That
> > would eliminate the need for an explicit pack call, though it would
> > still be deleting obsolete object revisions, having the same impact on
> > undoability.
>
> Are you planning to have the packing policy configurable on object location, object type
> or just on a per storage basis?

For a while, I was foolishly wanting to leverage ZODB database revisions for
version-control-like functionality. When I was thinking that way, I was
talking about having fine-grained packing policies. I now think that
using database revisions for application-level version control is
a bad idea.

I'd be happy to have database-wide auto-packing capabilities
and settings.

Jim