[ZODB-Dev] [ zodb-Bugs-550093 ] TypeError masking exception on server

noreply@sourceforge.net noreply@sourceforge.net
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:52:51 -0700

Bugs item #550093, was opened at 2002-04-29 10:16
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=115628&aid=550093&group_id=15628

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
We see quite a few of these errors:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File /usr/local/zope/2.5.1b1_base/z2.py, line 495, in ?
  File <string>, line 1, in ?
  File /usr/local/zope/2.5.1b1/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py, line 45, in ?
  File /usr/local/zope/2.5.1b1/lib/python/ZODB/DB.py, line 77, in __init__
  File /usr/local/zope/2.5.1b1_base/lib/python/ZEO/ClientStorage.py, line 365, in load
    (Object: ('x', xxxx))
  File /usr/local/zope/2.5.1b1_base/lib/python/ZEO/zrpc.py, line 239, in __call__
TypeError: exceptions must be strings, classes, or instances, not None

...which indicates an exception is being raised on the storage server.

However, the way the exceptions are being dealt with means the true exception type
is being masked and this meaningless error is being returned.

Unfortunately, frequently no matching error can be found in the server logs and so we never do
find the cause :-(

I suspect that one possible cause of this may be when an exception is raised on the server and the
exception class cannot be found on the client and so cannot properly be raised. Degrading to
displaying a string of the exception name would be mroe useful here.

That said, that's only a guess ;-)

cheers,

Chris