[ZODB-Dev] Non versioned objects

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:23:33 -0400

Christian Reis wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:25:36PM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Christian Reis wrote:
>>
>>>Wait up. Then how do the catalog references to objects work, if we don't
>>>have cross-database references (yet ;)?
>>>
>>The references from catalogs to objects are via stored object paths.
>>
>>These are like symbolic links, as opposed to cross-database references,
>>which are like hard links. :)
>>

> And they are application-level, I presume. I wonder: if you didn't use
> object paths, what would you use to identify the object
> in application-level?

That would, obviously, depend on the application. For Zope 2, paths
make the most sense. Zope 3 will provide an option to reference objects
in a location-independent manner through the use of an "object hub"
that does store paths and that provides location-independent ids that don't
map to paths.

Jim