[ZODB-Dev] zeo 2 availability, plans?

Mark McEahern mark@mceahern.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:37:45 -0500

Hi, we're currently planning a consulting project for a customer using Zope
and we'd like to use ZEO.  I understand that scaling the ZSS (Zope Storage
Server) is part of the second phase of ZEO2 development:

<quote>
Doesn't this just move the point of failure somewhere else?
Yes, the Zope Storage Server then becomes a single point of failure. The
next stage of ZEO will be to replicate the ZSS piece.

However, since the role of the ZSS is so limited, the chance that it can
fail are vastly diminished. Namely, the ZSS doesn't run any Zope
applications, it just serves object data. If there is an application that
gets hung or crashes, this won't affect the ZSS from functioning. Most of
the classic bugs and problems for application servers will be eliminated.
</quote>

Source:  http://www.zope.org/Products/ZEO/ZEOFAQ

I couldn't find a timetable for this development.  I'm curious whether there
is one.  Is anyone using the latest development version 2.0b1?  I'm just
trying to get a sense of whether I should stick with 1.0 and plan to upgrade
or whether I should play with 2.0b1 because 2.0 final is around the corner?

Thanks,

// mark

-