[ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:05:08 -0500

  TD> On Wednesday 27 November 2002 3:17 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
  >> That's funny.  I am pleading to remove them, because (even though
  >> Zope *supports* them) we recommend against using them in Zope; no
  >> Zope sites that I know of use them.

  TD> Is it possible that noone uses them because noone really
  TD> understands them? I dont implement versions in DirectoryStorage
  TD> because I couldnt find a good explanation of their semantics at
  TD> database level, or Zope user level.

I've gotta say that I think this is the chief problem with "versions."
Barry and I have suffered a lot lately trying to reverse engineer the
semantics of versions from the FileStorage implementation.  We've
gained a fairly decent understanding of them that needs to get written
down soon.

  TD> ps. Their name sucks. Try googling for "zodb versions" ;-)

The name stinks.  There's a huge difference between revisions and
versions in ZODB, even though you'd guess that the two words meant the
same thing.  If versions stay in ZODB4, they must have a different
name.

Jeremy