[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:20:17 -0500

  >> One thing that makes me nervous of versions is that, in Zope at
  >> least, they can get created implicitly. There is no explicit
  >> 'create a version' operation.

  SH> Yes, that is a terrible misfeature.

At the ZODB level, creating a version is still a pretty intentional
act, right?  You must pass an explicit version name to the Connection
object, at which point all your modifications happen on that version.

I presume the misfeature is that you could mis-spell the version name
when calling Connection and effectively create a new version.  I'm not
sure I think that is a big deal.  If there was an explicit
createVersion() operation, then you're just as likely to misspell the
version when you call createVersion().

Jeremy