[ZODB-Dev] use PersistentList and PersistenDict when?

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
08 Dec 2002 21:48:04 -0500

Hi David,

ZODB cannot detect the mutation of simple, non-instance (aka "basic
type") objects.  This most frequently happens with lists and
dictionaries (which are the only mutable basic Python types).
PersistentList and PersistentDict try to get around this by "looking
like" a dictionary or a list, and under the hood they do some
persistence shenanigans that would otherwise need to be done manually by
the caller.

For more info see http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/guide/node15.html

HTH,

- C