[ZODB-Dev] transacting multiple databases

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:58:29 -0500

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   SH> I think the next step is to decide whether the
>   SH> setLocalTransaction() code ought to be merged into mainline
>   SH> ZODB.  I'd be happy to do it with Jeremy's approval.  (Jeremy,
>   SH> are you reading?)
>
> I'm reading, but I haven't had time to follow setLocalTransaction().
> What is the rationale?  Maybe we could do a mini-PEP?

The use case is that in an event-based system such as a GUI, you can
have independent activities that all run in the same thread.  It's quite
similar to cooperative multitasking.  However, ZODB.Connection makes
assumptions that independent activities are bound to threads.  The patch
would enable programmers to change this policy, binding connections
directly to transactions.  The change is simple and noninvasive.

It wasn't my idea, though, so as for the PEP, I'll say "not it"! ;-)

Shane