[ZODB-Dev] Fwd: [Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal (Martijn Faassen)

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:05:05 -0500

At 11:44 AM 12/10/02 -0500, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>There is a proposal to rename most of the Zope3 hierarchy.  This
>proposal would effectively change all the ZODB/Persistence/Transaction
>namespaces, too.  It looks like they would become subpackages of the
>zope package.  Examples:
>
>from zope.transaction import get_transaction
>from zope.zodb.filestorage import FileStorage

Ugh.  At least, I don't care for the idea of moving Persistence away from
its present location as a root package; I'd like the Persistent base class
to stay "neutral", especially if it may later become the basis for a Python
persistence standard.

>A related matter is the organziation of modules and packages within
>ZODB.  I had beent thinking that individual persistent data types
>should be moved to subpackages like BTrees.  Examples:
>
>from zope.persistence.dict import Dict
>from zope.persistence.btrees.oobtree import OOBTree
>from zope.persistence.code import Module
>
>What do you think of these changes?  My biggest reservation is the
>huge string you need to get at a BTree.  Perhaps it would be better to
>do
>
>from zope.persistence.btrees import OOBTree
>
>The idea here is to create a large btrees package that loads all
>possible BTrees.

I don't mind if the other stuff goes in subpackages; I don't really expect
to use much of anything besides Persistence.Persistent.