[ZODB-Dev] Fwd: [Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal (Martijn Faassen)

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:59:03 -0500

At 12:14 PM 12/10/02 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Ugh.  At least, I don't care for the idea of moving Persistence away
> > from its present location as a root package; I'd like the Persistent
> > base class to stay "neutral", especially if it may later become the
> > basis for a Python persistence standard.
>
>Jim had this dream too, once.  I think it's unlikely that this will
>happen without any changes to the API though.  It's better to be clear
>that you're using the Zope persistence package now; then when a Python
>persistence package lands, eventually, it'll be clear whether a
>particular piece of code uses the old or the new version of the API.
>If they were both called "Persistence" there would be plenty of
>confusion.

Point taken; I'd still rather *not* have it in the Zope package tree,
though, for sys.path and packaging reasons.  Lots of people use ZODB
outside of Zope; If it has to be 'ZODB.Persistence' or 'zodb.persistence',
that's okay.