[ZODB-Dev] transacting multiple databases

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:42:16 -0500

Toby Dickenson wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 December 2002 6:35 pm, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>

>>... for Zope 3 we should plan to do all "mounting" using cross-database
>>references.  It will be faster and more seamless.  There won't be a
>>"mount point" object that conceals itself; instead, ZODB will just know
>>to load the mounted object from a different database.
>

> Is seamless a good thing? Right now I like the fact that cross-database links
> are not handled in the lower layers (DB and down) because it means we can
> have stronger invariants for those layers, such as reference checking.

That's a good point I had not considered.

> In filesystem terms, today we have a crude equivalent of cross-filesystem
> symbolic links.   I think there is less usefulness in something like a
> cross-filesystem hard link (which is what I think you are suggesting), rather
> than a better symbolic link.

Perhaps in Zope 3 it will be possible to create an object that simply
emulates all the interfaces of another object, yet gets stored in ZODB.
  If that worked then it would indeed be a better symlink.

Shane