[ZODB-Dev] More timing data

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:13:21 -0500

On 11 December 2002, Jeremy Hylton said:
> It's very difficult to measure process size in a meaningful way.  Do
> you care what the peak memory utilization is?  Or do you care about
> the working set size after a long time?  Or something else?

<sarcasm degree="mild">
Actually, it's very easy to measure process size -- just depends on your
metric.  If I can hear my hard disk constantly churning, and all my
windows move like treacle, and there's a l...o...n...g......
d...e...l...a...y for every keystroke, then some process is "too big".
Otherwise, not.  For me, the "too big" process is almost always a ZODB
process -- the ZEO server, a ZEO client, or a FileStorage-opening
client.
</sarcasm>

> IIRC, when Jim and I measured the fsIndex() code we used a very large
> storage (only recall size > 1GB, not number of objects) and considered
> the RSS reported by top for a ZEO server.  Don't recall what activity
> the server was performing.  The memory utilization was about 4x bigger
> for the dict-based code.

Interesting... perhaps fsIndex only starts to pay off above a certain
size.  Or there's something else in the trunk code causing memory
consumption to increase.  I should try some tests w/ fsIndex disabled,
but I'm looking at other stuff right now.

        Greg