[ZODB-Dev] Handling outdated .index file?

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:45:19 -0500

On 16 December 2002, Jeremy Hylton said:
> I think it starts with the file position in the .index file, then
> reads forward from there to add any data that was written after the
> index.  I don't know what it does if the .index was written before a
> pack; perhaps pack removes the .index.

Something we do fairly often is to copy the current .fs file from our
live web server for use on a development machine.  We don't bother to
copy the .index file at the same time, mainly because just copying the
.fs file is never enough -- it's usually done prior to running a
database update script that rearranges stuff to match our current code,
possibly followed by a pack.  So on the next database open, the .index
file is out-of-date with respect to the .fs file.  I was just wondering
how ZODB handles that case.  Guess I'll do some experimentation to find
out.

        Greg