[ZODB-Dev] Excellent overview of ODBMS and my take on ZODB

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:56:38 -0500

Nicholas Henke wrote:

> Along the same lines -- we have a ZODB backed query language that we are
> using for Clubmask ( cluster management and scheduling ). We have written
> our own indexing, but are realizing the nasty reality that we cannot scale
> to more than ~1500 objects in the database. The problem we are facing is
> that we have to convert the objects into a string language to pass to our
> C language daemons so they can parse it and translate into another string
> based language. ok -- nufff confusing stuff and onto the real question--
>
> Is there a way to interact with a ZEO server from C?

Uh, sure. All you just need to speak the ZEO network protocol,
(Unfortunately, this changes from ZEO 1 to ZEO 2), and you have to be able
to read and write pickles.

> The trick would be
> to subclass the ZEO server to serve up the object format that we use in
> our database?

No, you'd want to implement a client, not a server.
The easiest thing to do wrt serialization is to wrap your
serialized data in a string pickle.

Jim