[ZODB-Dev] FYI: Our plans for standby storage

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Sun, 06 Jan 2002 22:24:33 -0500

Hello all.  I wanted to follow up to Sean's post on Thursday.  Sorry for
the delay.  There's no good excuse, except it snowed and I played with
my daughter. :^)

Sean gave a good list of the potential options for a highly-available
storage.  One of the options listed was the standby storage that Jeremy
and others have been working on.  Though I'm considering changing the
name* to Replicated Storage (a fact that I haven't shared until now with
Jeremy :^), I'll refer to it as standby storage for this note.

In a nutshell, we plan to charge for standby storage.  Other than the
fee and limits on distribution, it will feel just like our existing
license terms.  Namely, you'll get the source.

This is not a shift, at all, in ZC's position on open source.  I've
always supported people making a buck atop Zope.  For this product in
particular, we expect the product and the service that goes with it to
provide a utility that people expect to pay for.  This is a piece that
is completely optional, from a platform perspective.  We're aiming this
initially as an option our consulting customers.

While it won't be cheap, it will still be a value for the audience that
it's aimed at.  Which is why, as Sean mentioned, there will be other
options that we hope will satisfy classes of use.

More details to follow.  In summary, I'm excited about standby storage
and its target market.  At the same time, other options can cover other
segments.

--Paul

* About the name, there's the potential for the Replicated Storage
product family to, over time, exceed the scope of the current Standby
Storage.  Also, Standby Storage invariably will be referred to as "SS",
and that, my friends, would be a poor decision.