[ZODB-Dev] SQL/ZODB integration (was Re: ZODB and new style classes?)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 14:52:46 -0400

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 09:29 AM 7/1/02 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>> ..

> For what it's worth, I've successfully designed (and have started
> implementing) a comprehensive framework for SQL/LDAP/anything-backed
> persistence using the ZODB Persistence and Transaction
> packages/interfaces exactly as they are now, so I'm not sure how much
> refactoring is really required.  ;)

That's very cool and encouraging. The current APIs are, at best,
inelegent. _p_jar and _p_changed come to mind. :)

I spoke to someone at EuroPython who was working on an EOF persistence
framework. He seemed to want an observer mechanism to enforce integrity
constraints.  BTW, I think that there was some interest on a standard Python
observer mechanism that could, possibly allow the persistence mix-in
to be avoided.

I'd like to formulate a cleaner interface between the caching architecture
and the persistance framework. For example, currently, the persistence interface
includes cache-specific data, which is silly.

Jim