[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Persistence-sig] "Straw Man" transaction API

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:33:30 -0400

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>

>>  SH> I would like this interface to be called
>>  SH> ITransactionParticipant.  There are many interesting kinds of
>>  SH> objects that would be interested in participating in a
>>  SH> transaction, and not all of them have the immediate
>>  SH> responsibility of storing data.  But the names you chose for the
>>  SH> methods are very clear and concise, I think.
>>
>>I think IResourceManager is probably better (see above).  I wish I
>>could take credit for the names, but I just grabbed them from the Gray
>>& Reuter book :-).
>>

> Ok, but some of the things we'd like to tie into transactions don't really
> manage data/resources.

I agree, theoritically, but

 > For example, "CommitVersion", "AbortVersion", and
> "TransactionalUndo" objects (from ZODB 3) just listen for the "commit"
> message.

These are not good examples, as these would no longer be registered with the
transaction coordinator. Rather, they would be handled internally to the
resource manager (ow whatever). They are certainly also about managing data,

Jim