[ZODB-Dev] ZODB idioms

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:21:10 -0400

[Tim]
> Believe it or not, the B-Tree inventors refused to say what
> *they* thought the "B" stood for.  Their flavor of BTree did
> remain balanced under deletions, though.

[Barry Warsaw]
> Maybe it was their second attempt, and they never told anybody about
> their A-Trees. :)

I had speculated more the reverse to Jeremy:  these were the "above average"
trees they advertised, and they were saving their excellent A-Trees for
paying customers.  But the dead get to keep their secrets <wink>.

People might enjoy this classic intro (Zope's trees are closest to what this
calls B+ trees):

    <http://nas.cl.uh.edu/boetticher/CSCI5333/p121-comer.pdf>

In a footnote, they speculate that the "B" may stand for Boeing.  In that
spirit, I suggest we call our flavor Z-Trees and be done with it <wink>.