[ZODB-Dev] working with large databases

greg landrum drgergl@mindspring.com
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:21:36 -0800

At 01:55 AM 3/1/2002, Toby Dickenson wrote:

> >I'm happy to report that, on linux, using Toby's patch and a call to
> >_p_jar.cacheGC() every thousand times through the loop reduces memory
> >requirements substantially.  The performance penalty is about 15% (that's a
> >rough number), which isn't half bad.  Color me pleased.
>
>15% relative to what? the version that never called cacheGC and sucked
>memory? yes that isnt half bad, but its not as good as I would like.

The 15% is relative to the version without cacheGC calls.  I'll put
together some more detailed timing information once I'm a little bit
happier with my underlying code.  This experience has made me realize that
the pickling/depickling code in my extension class is suboptimal in terms
of speed.

Thanks again for all the help!
-greg

----
greg Landrum (greglandrum@earthlink.net)
Software Carpenter/Computational Chemist