[ZODB-Dev] Looking for a specific object...

Andrew Sydelko andrew@sydelko.org
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:35:12 -0500

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 16:11, you wrote:
> On 06 March 2002, Andrew Sydelko said:
> > > Are you sure your sys.path is correct, ie. Python can find all the
> > > modules that provide classes whose instances are pickled in your
> > > database?
> >
> > Well, our database was first created in January of 2001 using whatever
> > version of Zope was available at the time. I'm thinking there is some
> > cruft (like this object) that references things that no longer
> > exist... So I'd like to be able to find which object is trying to use
> > this "Splitter" module and either remove that object or figure out
> > what to do from there.
>
> Right, yes, the "I renamed my class/module" problem.

Hmm... I've not heard of this before... Does it deserve some HowTo/FAQ?

> > Is there anyway I can trick it into thinking that there is a module named
> > Splitter, but one that just lets me see what the path to the object is?
>
> Create an empty Splitter.py somewhere in sys.path.  Then you'll have to
> create a dummy class in it to satisfy this object; if you can't remember
> the name of the class, load it again and watch for the import error --
> it should have the class name this time.

I'm not very clued in on Zope/Class/Python schtuff... Could you provide what
I might want to put in this Splitter.py?

--andy.