[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope-Annce] Announcement; DirectoryStorage

Sat, 25 May 2002 20:28:09 +0100

On Saturday 25 May 2002 10:06 am, Ivo van der Wijk wrote:
>This looks very interesting for our 3GB / 1M objects ZODB.

(are those numbers right? It gives an average object size of 3k, which is
bigger than I am used to seeing. Anyone else?)

>How about speed?

At the moment, speed is apalling. Ive made a factor of 5 improvement over the
last day so things are looking up.

I doubt this will ever be the fastest storage, but my goal is to make
performance acceptable.

>(We'd run it on an linux ext3 FS)

Currently I am seing reiserfs living up to its performance reputation.

Personally I *like* reiserfs and I am sure some of this personal bias shows in
the benchmarks (which I hope to publish next week, btw). For other
filesystems I expect to see a linear performance difference, but *not* a
scalability difference.

My experiments over the last year have shown that storage speed has a
negligible affect on overall system performance (for *my* system, anyway). Im
sure ext3 would be fast enough

How efficiently does ext3 store small files? That might be a deciding factor.