[ZODB-Dev] How to predict George Bailey?

Christian Reis kiko@async.com.br
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 14:31:40 -0200

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 04:48:48PM +0100, Magnus Lycka wrote:
> >However suppose the database is concurrently packed.
>
> I don't pack the database with the application running.
> Obviously the demands on a (for now) single user GUI
> application is different from that of a web system like
> Zope.

Just to let you know, we have the same use as you: a GUI app using ZODB
for persistence. I'm sure you've seen our IndexedCatalog releases, but
if not, you could check it out - we're trying to target it to that sort
of application. (Hey, it's even written by a swede :-)

> I haven't analyzed Zope's source, but I imagined that this
> would be the case. I have a fairly clear separation of the
> GUI and the logic that manipulates the persistent objects,
> but the GUI does have direct references to the persistent
> objects. I've been thinking about placing GUI and logic in
> different processes, partly to make it easier to "reboot"
> the logic in case of an undo, but I never planned to close
> down all object references on commit.

Is holding object references over undo really a big issue for you? Is it
because you are editing the same object as is displayed in other parts
of the interface? I am trying to get a use pattern clear from your
issues, but I can't seem to - can you show a concrete example (i.e.
window X presents object, window Y edits it, then Z happens, etc) so I
can understand better the issue?

Take care,