[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: ZODB3/ZODB - FileStorage.py:1.105.2.6.2.2

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:47:12 -0500

    >> So there's very little additional complexity for those
    >> storages.

    TD> I *think* it would allow you to eliminate the pickleRefcounts
    TD> table?

    TD> Managing the pickleRefcounts doesnt involve many lines of
    TD> code, but there would be a high cost associated with something
    TD> going wrong there.

True, although we'll still have the object refcounts, and any time you
screw up refcount housekeeping you're going to be in a world of
hurt. ;) I'm not sure the pickleRefcounts add that much additional
risk.  OTOH, pickles can get pretty large so reducing duplication
could be a big win.  OTOOH <3 wink> these things only come into play
for versions and transactional undo so to the degree those operations
are rare, there isn't a lot of practical benefit.

-Barry