[ZODB-Dev] deadlock prevention for ZODB3 / Zope 2.6

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:40:36 -0500

  JH> can be used by more than one process at a time.  The general
  JH> rule is that sortKey() must be the same in every process using a
  JH> storage.  If a storage can't be shared between multiple
  JH> storages, then it is trivial to satisfy the rule -- __name__ or
  JH> id() work just fine.

  JH> (I think this is a clearer explanation that my original
  JH> message.)

It might have been clearer if I had proofread it.  How about one more
try:

  The general rule is that sortKey() must be the same in every process
  using a storage.  If a storage can't be shared between multiple
  processes, then it is trivial to satisfy the rule -- __name__ or id()
  work just fine.

Also, it is possible that the locking scheme used by some storages
that are shared among multiple processes may not required a global
sortKey.  I'd have to think more about that before I'm certain.

Jeremy