[ZODB-Dev] Very slow restarts with ZEO 2 ...

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:16:31 -0500

Joachim Werner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've switched a two-server ZEO installation to ZEO 2 and now I have the
> following "problem":
>
> While the ZEO clients had started up and restarted almost immediately (5-10
> secs maximum for a start without having to rebuild the cache files), ZEO 2
> clients take up to half a minute.
>
> This is not a problem for the production servers, as they usually won't
> restart frequently. But for development this is not so nice. My first guess
> was that ZEO 2 does some consistency checks on the cache files or so, as it
> spends a considerable amount of time after connecting to the ZEO server,
> which still happens almost instantly.

In development, it is likely that you don't want to use persistent
caches.  Persistent caches retain the contents of the cache between
runs, often requiring verification of the entire contents of the cache
upon restart.  You can disable persistent caches by not specifying
anything in the "client" argument to the ClientStorage constructor, and
not setting the ZEO_CLIENT environment variable.  (This is quite
non-intuitive, but it works.)

Debugging problems of this nature is easier, BTW, if you set the
environment variable STUPID_LOG_SEVERITY=-100 on both the storage server
and the ZEO client.  At some point this variable will be renamed
EVENT_LOG_SEVERITY, if it hasn't already. :-)

Shane