[ZODB-Dev] ZEO 2 : cache twiddling

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:16:54 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> How could this happen?  Persistent caches have different names based
>> on the storage name and client name.  Non-persistent caches use
>> tempfile.
>
> Chris is running three storages in the same process.  The client name is
> the same since it comes from the ZEO_CLIENT environment variable, and
> the storage name for all three is probably the default, "1".

No it's not, they each have specific names since they're all being served up
from the same port of the same storage server, however, how does this affect my
suggestion as to how to name cache trace files:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=115628&aid=641925&group_id=15628

?

> But if
> Chris is running with non-persistent caches then you're right, there's
> no issue.  Chris?

Unless persistent caches are the default, I'm not using them ;-)

>>> Of course, I would expect ZODB to shatter in a million pieces if
>>> this were the case, rather than chug along with some occasional
>>> breakage.  Hmph.
>>
>> Not if the oid sets are distinct (dunno if they are).

Well, once upon a time, all three FileStorages were one. Dunno how that affects
OIDs.

> Ah-ha, that makes sense then.  The OID sets are likely to intersect
> randomly.  This would result in gradual chaos.

I do hope not, that sounds distinctly unpleasant...

cheers,

Chris