[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:58:39 -0500

  SH> True, but ZODB already has a "hole" that I would classify about
  SH> the same way: scripts that are meant to only read the database
  SH> can accidentally change the database.  It's very easy and this
  SH> is a real concern in some environments.  But in practice, we
  SH> rarely see anyone make that mistake.

We fixed this problem when we added the read_only option to storages.
You get a ReadOnlyError when you try to commit a transaction on a
read-only storage.

  SH> It's easier to fix individual infractions than try to prevent it
  SH> from ever happening.

I tend towards prevention of infractions where it is tractable.  Just
don't ask me about dangling references <wink>.

Jeremy